From: wsjtgroup@... <wsjtgroup@...>
To: "wsjtgroup@..." <wsjtgroup@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018, 2:53:38 PM EDT
Subject: [wsjtgroup] Digest Number 5182

15 Messages

Digest #5182
2
rx by lenm1dpe@...
3a
FT8 .323 by "tony everhardt" n8wac
3b
Re: FT8 .323 by "W7men" w7mem2
3c
3d
Re: FT8 .323 by "Rob Harrison" mezzoman352
3e
Re: FT8 .323 by "Chris Deacon" cjdeacon@...
3f
Re: FT8 .323 by "Rob Harrison" mezzoman352
3g
Re: FT8 .323 by n7dc@...
3h
Re: FT8 .323 by "Rob Harrison" mezzoman352
3i
Re: FT8 .323 by n7dc@...
3j
Re: FT8 .323 by rich_ve3ki
3k
Re: FT8 .323 by "Chris Deacon" cjdeacon@...
3l
Re: FT8 .323 by rich_ve3ki

Messages

1a

Re: Linux Remove or change Configuration

Mon Jun 4, 2018 9:47 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Paul Andrews"

Thanks guys...I can't click "Yes" on that window, because the program
shuts down with an error.  I think there is a strange bug at least when
running Mint.  That dialog pops up, and you can select it, but then
another dialog box pops up and then the program shuts down.  I was
trying to get the program to stop reference the old USB port so that I
could reinstall without the error popping up again.

I'll look in the mentioned directories.

Paul

On 6/4/18 9:53 PM, Brian Waterworth wrote:
> You don't need to remove the configuration.  Just click Yes on that
> popup dialogue so it takes you to the settings dialogue.  Then cancel
> out of there or make changes.
>
> However, in linux, you will find the WSJT-X.ini file in ~/.config.
> You will also find more wsjtx files (logs) in: ~/.local/share/WSJT-X.
>
> This is documented in the WSJT-X manual:
> http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-1.9.0_en..html
>
> Section 1.5
>
> regards,
> Brian
> VE3IBW
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 1:16 PM Paul Andrews kg7qcy@...
> <mailto:kg7qcy@...> [wsjtgroup]
> <wsjtgroup-noreply@...
> <mailto:wsjtgroup-noreply@...>> wrote:
>

> Hello:
>
> I am running WSJT on Linux (mint).  I made some changes to my
> system and
> now my radio is on a different USB and it causes a window to pop up
> asking me to reconfigure hamlib.  That's all fine, but then an error
> pops up and then the program shuts down.
>
> I have removed it many times and reinstalled.  When I reinstall, it
> finds some configuration file (I can see my last QSO before it shuts
> down) and still causes the error.
>
> Does anyone know where it's finding this configuration file?  I'd like
> to completely remove so it forgets the old installation.  Simply
> removing from the package manager or from the terminal does not get
> everything.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Paul

Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:07 am (PDT) . Posted by:

lenm1dpe@...

why is it that I can tx in ft8 but I do not see people that reply to me. I have a yeasu ft450d
len m1dpe

3a

FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:49 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"tony everhardt" n8wac

Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings on the cluster.
N8WAC

3b

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:54 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"W7men" w7mem2

Dx only freq domestic qsos on 313. W7mem

!

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 6:49 AM, tony everhardt n8wac@... [wsjtgroup] <wsjtgroup-noreply@...> wrote:
>
> Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings on the cluster.
>
> N8WAC

Good Morning America Confirms Unfortunate News
greatsuperstars.world
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5b1695f9c7b3b15f83ab3st04duc

3c

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 7:01 am (PDT) . Posted by:

g4wjs

Hi Tony,

it's more organic than that. As is always the case on 6m multi-hop Es signals are often very weak and fleeting and do not mix well with crushing single hop signals. The 50.323 center of activty is supposed to be a quieter spot for intercontinental DX traffic. Treat it like the 50.1 - 50.13 DX window for CW and phone. No one wrote a memo, it's just a sensible arrangement, work the local traffic on 50.313 and listen for the DX on 50.323. Give 50.276 a check as well as there are station in EU, particularly Ukrainian, who don't have access above 50.3.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

3d

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 7:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Rob Harrison" mezzoman352

Hi,

This has ben adopted recently as trans-Atlantic openings have occured
and with the heavy density of stations in Europe it was thought a
separate QRG be found for specifically for those type QSOs. Thus leaving
50.313 for domestic and inter-European/inter-US traffic.

I'd expect it to be used if EU-ASIA or US-ASIA openings occured too.

Whether the US or EU decided I've no idea, but seems to make sense.

73

Bob G8HGN

On 05/06/2018 14:49, tony everhardt n8wac@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
> Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU
> use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings
> on the cluster.
>
> N8WAC

3e

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 7:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Chris Deacon" cjdeacon@...

The idea for an FT8 ‘DX Window’ came from JA and it seemed like a good one so we’ve picked it up too.

73
Chris
G4IFX

Chris Deacon
h: 01428 713302

On 05/06/2018 14:49, tony everhardt n8wac@... <mailto:n8wac@...> [wsjtgroup] wrote:

Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings on the cluster.

N8WAC

3f

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 8:11 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Rob Harrison" mezzoman352

Also it would be nice if everyone adopted the practise of 1st period
beam West, 2nd period beam East. Whatever QRG they use.

Talking 50MHz and up here.

Bob G8HGN

On 05/06/2018 15:32, 'Chris Deacon' cjdeacon1@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

> The idea for an FT8 ‘DX Window’ came from JA and it seemed like a good
> one so we’ve picked it up too.
>
> 73
>
> Chris
>
> G4IFX
>
> **
>
> *Chris Deacon*
>
> h: 01428 713302
>
> m: 07711 485324

3g

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 8:20 am (PDT) . Posted by:

n7dc@...

Lost me on that. If you and I both beam east, we are then beaming away from each other, and then we both move west, and do the same thing Oh, and since I dont have a beam, but just a inverted L right now, ...........

N7DC@...
Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy only, as do not use the system for awards.

> On June 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM "Rob Harrison g8hgn73@... [wsjtgroup]" <wsjtgroup-noreply@...> wrote:
>

> Also it would be nice if everyone adopted the practise of 1st period beam West, 2nd period beam East. Whatever QRG they use.
>
> Talking 50MHz and up here.
>
> Bob G8HGN
>

> On 05/06/2018 15:32, 'Chris Deacon' cjdeacon1@... mailto:cjdeacon1@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
>
> ?space?--

The idea for an FT8 ‘DX Window’ came from JA and it seemed like a good one so we’ve picked it up too.

73

Chris

G4IFX

Chris Deacon

h: 01428 713302

This has ben adopted recently as trans-Atlantic openings have occured and with the heavy density of stations in Europe it was thought a separate QRG be found for specifically for those type QSOs. Thus leaving 50.313 for domestic and inter-European/inter-US traffic.

I'd expect it to be used if EU-ASIA or US-ASIA openings occured too.

Whether the US or EU decided I've no idea, but seems to make sense.

73

Bob G8HGN

On 05/06/2018 14:49, tony everhardt n8wac@... mailto:n8wac@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

> Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings on the cluster..
>

> N8WAC

3h

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 8:26 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Rob Harrison" mezzoman352

Hi,

If I'm on 1st period beaming West from EU to US, why would you be
beaming West too. You should be beaming East, US to EU, and on 2nd
period. You can't hear me if you are on the same TX period.

Widely used for MS & EME to stop mutual interference. Everyone TX's on
the same period and listens on the same period. Given they are all
looking the same way for DX, of course.

You will get clashe but it minimises them.

73

Bob G8HGN

On 05/06/2018 16:20, n7dc@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:

> Lost me on that.  If you and I both beam east, we are then beaming
> away from each other, and then we both move west, and do the same
> thing     Oh, and since I dont have a beam, but just a inverted L
> right now, ..........
>

> N7DC@...
> Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
> QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy
> only, as do not use the system for awards.
>
>> On June 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM "Rob Harrison g8hgn73@...
>> [wsjtgroup]" <wsjtgroup-noreply@...> wrote:
>>

>> Also it would be nice if everyone adopted the practise of 1st period
>> beam West, 2nd period beam East. Whatever QRG they use.
>>
>> Talking 50MHz and up here.
>>
>> Bob G8HGN
>>

>> On 05/06/2018 15:32, 'Chris Deacon' cjdeacon1@...
>> <mailto:cjdeacon1@...> [wsjtgroup] wrote:
>>>
>>> The idea for an FT8 ‘DX Window’ came from JA and it seemed like a
>>> good one so we’ve picked it up too.
>>>
>>> 73
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> G4IFX
>>>
>>> **
>>>
>>> *Chris Deacon*
>>>
>>> h: 01428 713302
>>>
>>> m: 07711 485324
>>>
>>> e: cjdeacon1@... <mailto:cjdeacon1@...>

3i

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 8:40 am (PDT) . Posted by:

n7dc@...

What I am having a problem with right now is not hearing even one DX station on wsjt 50.323, when dozens of stateside east coast are working them (I am in Virginia). My beam went down when a tree fell on the house, and hasn't been replaced, but I used the inverted L most of the time anyway, and have worked 54 countries with it, previously. I am also still hearing some EU DX on the 50.313. How in heck 10 kc makes that difference, is beyond me.

N7DC@...
Ex WN5QMX,WA5UKR,ET2US,ET3USA,SV0WPP,VS6DD,N7DC/YV5/G5CTB
QSL Bureau, DIRECT, LOTW Preferred, eQSL used but upload at a courtesy only, as do not use the system for awards.

> On June 5, 2018 at 10:02 AM "Rob Harrison g8hgn73@... [wsjtgroup]" <wsjtgroup-noreply@...> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> This has ben adopted recently as trans-Atlantic openings have occured and with the heavy density of stations in Europe it was thought a separate QRG be found for specifically for those type QSOs. Thus leaving 50.313 for domestic and inter-European/inter-US traffic.
>
> I'd expect it to be used if EU-ASIA or US-ASIA openings occured too.
>
> Whether the US or EU decided I've no idea, but seems to make sense.
>
> 73
>
> Bob G8HGN
>

> On 05/06/2018 14:49, tony everhardt n8wac@... mailto:n8wac@... [wsjtgroup] wrote:
>
> ?space?--
Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings on the cluster.

N8WAC

3j

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:18 am (PDT) . Posted by:

rich_ve3ki

This weekend from here in eastern Ontario, I had very good single-hop propagation to a large part of the US, but basically zero multi-hop propagation to Europe. Meanwhile, many of the stations I was hearing had good propagation to Europe, and I could watch them making QSOs with European stations that I could not see the slightest trace of, even with my beam pointed to Europe. The basic cause is the location of the sporadic-E ionization clouds. While they were far enough north for southern US stations to use them to communicate with Europe as well as with stations like mine in northern North America, the clouds were not far enough north for stations like me in northern North America to use them to communicate with Europe. This is a regular occurrence on 6m.

The advantage of using the DX window at 50.323 MHz, with EU stations calling NA during the first 15 seconds of each half minute while NA stations call EU during the second 15 seconds, is that splitting up the time slots this way means that the DX signals are not swamped by much stronger nearby signals. This is what happens on 50.313 MHz where callers choose between the two time periods arbitrarily. As a result, the waterfall is always full of strong single-hop signals and weaker multi-hop signals are hard to find and copy.

73,
Rich VE3KI

---In wsjtgroup@..., <n7dc@...> wrote :

[...]

Tue Jun 5, 2018 10:45 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Chris Deacon" cjdeacon@...

Yes I agree but with the caveat that it only makes sense if you’re looking for long-haul DX in a particular direction, like EU-NA, EU-JA, NA-JA. It won’t make sense to try and introduce that sort of discipline for single-hop Es within Europe or within NA because there are so many signals coming in from all around.

Chris G4IFX

Chris Deacon
h: 01428 713302

This has ben adopted recently as trans-Atlantic openings have occured and with the heavy density of stations in Europe it was thought a separate QRG be found for specifically for those type QSOs. Thus leaving 50.313 for domestic and inter-European/inter-US traffic.
I'd expect it to be used if EU-ASIA or US-ASIA openings occured too.
Whether the US or EU decided I've no idea, but seems to make sense.
73
Bob G8HGN

On 05/06/2018 14:49, tony everhardt n8wac@... <mailto:n8wac@...> [wsjtgroup] wrote:

Did I miss the memo of FT8 transitioning from .313 to .323 or does EU use .323 for their primary freq? I'm seeing a lot of EU .323 postings on the cluster..

N8WAC

3l

Re: FT8 .323

Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:15 am (PDT) . Posted by:

rich_ve3ki

Then use it on 50.323 for intercontinental QSOs, but not on 50..313 for "local" one-hop contacts.

73,
Rich VE3KI

---In wsjtgroup@..., <cjdeacon1@...> wrote :

[...]

Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

jlwebuser

When a station calling CQ gets several responses in the same time slice what logic does the app use to decide which station to respond to? FIFO, Random.... ?

Is the selection logic configurable or can it be biased?

Sorry if this has be asked before, did a few searches and came up empty.

73
KI7ELQ
To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Join main@MVRC-N5BL.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.